The awards committee is chaired by the NASN Director for Alabama who will oversee activities of these awards.
The purpose of the AASN School Nurse Awards is to publicly recognize school nurses statewide by honoring one school nurse in each of the three categories who demonstrates excellence in school nursing practice and leadership in school health. The following criteria have been established by the Alabama Association of School Nurses. Please review the criteria and submit your nomination by May 06, 2019.
AASN and local education agencies (LEA)
1. One (1) nominee from each LEA
2. Nominee must be:
a. A Registered Nurse or a Licensed Practical Nurse
b. AASN membership not required but is preferred. Points will be added to nomination packet for members.
3. Nominee must have at least 3 years of experience as a school nurse and be currently practicing as a school nurse full time.
a. More than 50% of nominee’s time must be spent in direct care.
4. Nominee for School Nurse Administrator must have at least 5 years of experience in school nursing and school health.
a. More than 50 % responsibility the supervision, administration and coordination of nursing services and health programs.
5. Evidence of excellence in school nursing practice must be based on Scope and Standards of Professional School Nursing Practice (National Association of School Nurses and American Nurses Association, 2005)
C. PROCEDURE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
1. Nomination must be submitted electronically through AASN’s website.
2. A Nomination Prerequisite Form is to be completed.
3. Nominators will be contacted via email and provided with a login and password in order to complete the Full Nomination Form.
4. The following information is required to be uploaded as attachments to the Full Nomination Form:
a. LEA letter stating support and rationale for nomination, signed by LEA sponsor.
b. Resume or curriculum vitae signed by nominee.
c. One photo, which will not be provided to reviewers or judges but kept with nomination packet and may be used to recognize (honor) AASN School Nurse of Year applicants. No photos should be used as part of the application.
d. Supporting letters of recommendation:
· Maximum of six (6) letters, each limited to three-quarters to one page, no reductions permitted.
· Letter may be from school nurse colleagues, administrators, supervisors, teachers, students, or others.
· Letters should describe specific issues or topics related to nominee’s qualifications for the award. Use Scope and Standards of Practice School Nursing 2nd Edition as a reference.
· Letters should directly reflect areas of rating that writer wishes to emphasize.
· Local and affiliate acronyms must be spelled out when used for the first time.
e. In a separate document, please submit a short paragraph about your nominee for inclusion in the AASN conference program. The paragraph should not exceed 300 words. This paragraph will not be used during the selection process.
|SCHOOL LPN OF THE YEAR AWARD||SCHOOL NURSE OF THE YEAR AWARD||SCHOOL NURSE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD|
|Current licensed practical nurse||Current Registered Professional Nurse||Current Registered Professional Nurse|
|Current member of AASN, recommended, points added for members.||Current member of AASN, recommended, points added for members.||Current member of AASN, recommended, points added for members.|
|Three years of experience as school nurse||Three years of experience as school nurse||Five years of experience in school nursing and school health|
|Currently practices as a school nurse at full-time status in their district||Currently practices as a school nurse at full-time status in their district||Currently practices full time as a school nurse administrator|
|More than 50% of nominee’s time must be spent in direct care.||More than 50% of nominee’s time must be spent in direct care.||More than 50% responsibility the supervision, administration and coordination of nursing services and health programs.|
If nominee does not meet eligibility or submission criteria, the following actions will be taken:
|Nominee is not a registered nurse or LPN, based on category in which nominated.||Rejected folderAwards committee returns to nominee with letter of explanation|
|Nomination packet received after due date||Rejected folderAwards committee returns to nominee with letter of explanation|
|Nominee does not have minimum years of experience as a school nurse||Rejected folderAwards committee returns to nominee with letter of explanation|
|Nominee does not spend a minimum of 50% of time in direct care (RN or LPN) or supervision (Administrator)||Rejected folderAwards committee returns to nominee with letter of explanation|
|Missing signature of nominee resume or vitae||10 points deduction,Returned for signature|
|Nominee meets current AASN membership||5 points added|
|Nominee meets current NASN membership||5 points added|
|Missing support letter signed by LEA nominator||10 points deduction,Returned for signature|
|Letters of recommendation:Exceed letter limit||10 points deductionLetters removed from folder prior to judging, letters are removed beginning with the last in the folder|
|Folder is greater than 20 pages||10 points deductionExtra pages are removed from the folder prior to judging, pages are removed beginning with the last in the folder.|
** Points will be deducted from the average nominee’s score at the completion of the committee’s judging. These deductions will be noted by the awards chairman on the packet evaluation sheet.
1. The Awards Committee will review and score the nomination folders. Judges will not score candidates from their own LEA.
2. Selection of recipient will be announced by the Awards Committee. Committee chairman will notify AASN President by May 27. 2019 .
3. The award will be presented at the AASN annual conference by the chair of the Awards committee.
4. A letter will be sent to the recipient, nominator and supervisor of nominee receiving the award by May 29, 2019.
5. The decision of the Awards Committee is final and not open to appeal. All ballots will be destroyed upon notification of the selected candidate.